You’ve been asking for some time now, so here it is, the first in my 3-part series on how to start out as a yoga teacher once you graduate from your yoga teacher training course – eek!
How do I become a better yoga teacher?
The answer does not lie in more training, yes that is a fun thing to do, but the only way to get better at teaching is to go out and practise the skill of teaching. Teaching is teaching, regardless of subject, it is a skill, and skills improve through practise.
The process of skill refinement looks like this:
- Go out and practise the skill (aka teach yoga)
- Reflect on how it went (positively!)
- Respond and refine next time you teach (repeat)
Regardless of where you are in your yoga teaching career, this is a process we all should practise.
The main problem I see is those who graduate from their YTT waiting to feel ready to teach, and never getting teaching. This day won’t come, you have to take action and go out and set up a class. Teaching friends and family, or hooking up with a local studio can be great pathways into cutting your craft as a yoga teacher, from which you can expand out from.
Want some help getting started or avoiding the trap of ‘training procrastination’?
Watch on YouTube
Join my mentorship programme for yoga teachers
The first 12 months after graduating are the hardest, don’t try to do them alone. Joining my mentoring programme means you are no longer alone with me on your side!
I would love to support you in creating a profitable, sustainable and joyful yoga business – join my 6-month group coaching and mentoring programme. Add your name to the waitlist if you find the doors are closed.
Other ways we can work together
- Binge-listen for free to all the episodes of the Prosperous Yogini Podcast – https://amy-yoga.com/prosperous-yogini-podcast/
- Train with me. I offer online, specialist, flexible training courses in pregnancy, postnatal and yin yoga. Start today and together we can expand your teaching schedule. https://amy-yoga.com/yoga-teacher-training/
- Study further with me. I have a range of self-paced study continued professional development courses, covering a range of topics related to teaching yoga and running your yoga business – https://amy-yoga.com/cpd-for-yoga-teachers/